History

The original Christ Church Down Street building was erected in 1865 as a new parish church for this corner of Mayfair.

The congregation has varied enormously over the years including, at the beginning of her married life, Mary, Princess Royal (daughter of George V) whose letters record her enormous affection for the congregation here.  Sadly, the church was closed for Anglican worship in the 1990s until a new congregation launched a few years ago.

Christ Church Mayfair began in January 2001 with a 6:30pm (now meeting at 6:00pm) congregation planted from St Helen’s Bishopsgate, largely consisting of young professionals and students.  Although an Anglican church enthusiastically supported by the Bishop of London, it originally took the name of: The Bible Talks. Happily, church family members married and had children, and so in October 2004 we began a service at 10:15am with crèche and Sunday School groups for children of all ages. Across the two congregations you will find people committed to grow in their love and commitment to Jesus Christ and one another as we learn form the Bible together.